For the past four and half years, I have had the privilege of being in the role of Executive Director for the Michigan Wellness Council. I came on as the first person in that role and have had the opportunity to work with the Board of Directors to grow the organization by expanding its reach and increasing the resources we offer including membership, conferences, training, online resources, webinars and a podcast. I deeply care about the vision and mission of Michigan Wellness Council and have been heartened over the years by the positive feedback we continually receive on our efforts and on the quality of the educational content and community we have built. I have loved being part of increasing the collective knowledge to enhance the wellbeing of people in the state of Michigan through the workplace. One of the best opportunities I have had in this role is meeting people and building a range of relationships throughout the state and nationally. My hope is that these relationships continue to grow and support the Michigan Wellness Council in the future.
I will be stepping out of the Executive Director role to focus fully on the culture change through narrative integration work I have been doing with organizations and my art. Both come from my deep passions and are geared towards enhancing quality of life through connection and creativity. My role will be different, but I will continue to be active in the wellbeing community in this capacity. My last day will be after the Spring Conference on May 16th and I will help with the transition until then.
I am fortunate for having had this opportunity. I have always said that the people in our community are caring and positive and really have the heart and will to create a better place and life for others. Thank you for being such a wonderful community to interact and work with – I am truly grateful. As I move on, I look forward to staying connected to all of you in our shared goals and I hope all of you continue to be engaged in the Michigan Wellness Council as a source of support in your endeavors.
The Board of Directors has created a committee to search for the new Executive Director. If you are interested in the position, or know someone who might be a good fit, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and view the posting for the position.
Date Created: 3/31/19
Job Description – Michigan Wellness Council Executive Director (see letter from current Executive Director)
Part-time (20 Hours)
To effectively assist in the coordination and execution of Michigan Wellness Council programs and sustainability of the statewide non-profit.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for the day to day administrative functions of Michigan Wellness Council including communications, marketing, data analysis, member support, and event coordination and promotion
- Collaborate as needed with third-parties (i.e. membership management organization, administrative support resource, etc.) to implement strategic initiatives
- Maintain knowledge of and advocate for wellness best practices
- Develop strategies to increase meeting attendance, secure sponsors and develop relationships with key stakeholders
- Develop and deploy Michigan Wellness Council promotional materials, tools and resources
- Manage MWC website and social media strategy
- Provide guidance and support to MWC Board of Directors for content of presentations, program offerings, and community events
- Organize board priorities, maintain strategic plan and communications to ensure task completion
- Assist with bi-monthly meetings, program presentations, and webinars
- Assist with the preparation of grant funding requests
Bachelor’s degree or higher required. Degree in health education, nutrition, exercise science, health promotion, public health or related field preferred. Two-plus years of experience within health promotion industry preferred.
- Background and skill set in health promotion, with knowledge and experience in health risk assessments, behavior change and self-care programs, incentive programs, and corporate wellness strategies
- Knowledge of industry best-practices, evidenced-based wellness models, and the ability to match resources with member needs
- Strong organizational ability and written and oral communication skills are essential
- Ability to work well within a fast-paced multi-disciplinary team environment
- Tech savvy with computer and technical skills and ability to generate and interpret reports
- Ability to use Excel, Microsoft Word, Power Point, and access with ease
- Experience planning and conducting training sessions, events, and sizeable projects
Physical Activities/Working Conditions:
- Travel within the state of Michigan
- Work from home with potential for office work in the future as Council evolves/grows
- Candidate will need to provide computer and phone for work purposes
Send resume and cover letter to the attention of the:
Michigan Wellness Council Hiring Committee
via email: email@example.com
Position open until filled.
WellBites is a Michigan Wellness Council Podcast.
Our mission is to inspire the implementation of leading workplace wellness strategies through thought-leadership and education. In an effort to make resources as diverse and accessible we have launched a podcast. In this podcast series, we interview people in the field to offer different perspectives and insights as well as tips no matter what stage you are at in the field. Our hope is that we can highlight what is happening in the community to enhance resources, connection and conversation for greater enhancement of wellbeing in the workplace. You can listen at anytime that is convenient for you and also as group with your workplace wellness team. In 2018, Wonolo listed us in the “Top 50 Podcasts Every HR Professional Should Be Listening To,” and you’ve made the list. Check out our interviews.
Apply Community and Digital Engagement Specialist Position
The Detroit Regional Chamber is hiring a full time Community and Digital Engagement Specialist position to work in our downtown Detroit location. The Detroit Regional Chamber offers excellent health & dental insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield, voluntary vision insurance, Safe Harbor 401k plan with matching contribution, generous Paid Time Off Days (PTO), paid holidays, business mileage reimbursement, and much more!!! Join our team as Community and Digital Engagement Specialist Position today!
Community and Digital Engagement Specialist Position Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, communications, public relations, or related field
- 2-4 years of relevant experience
- Diverse writing ability for multiple media and platforms
- Detail oriented, highly organized, deadline focused
- Experience working with web content management system and email marketing program
- Experience in managing partnership engagement and influencing decision makers
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work individually and in teams
- Ability to travel locally
- Web development and coding experience a plus
- Health care interest a plus
Community and Digital Engagement Specialist Position Responsibilities:
Platform Development: Planning and Execution
- Website maintenance and development, content creation and management: develop content for web, email communications, social, blogs etc.
- Implement partner content strategy, manage submissions.
- Research, generate, and implement health and wellness blogs, topics, information, etc. to enhance content strategy.
- Create and execute outreach campaigns and activities.
- Implement social strategy and increase page followers.
- Develop and execute strategy to increase email subscribers.
Affiliate and Business Engagement
- Manage engagement with affiliate partners and platform users.
- Ensure consistent branding and messaging across all affiliate communications.
- Lead launches of program campaigns and activities to affiliate partners.
- Assist with relationship management of local chamber partners.
- Assist with Wellness Works partner development and engagement.
- Assist with organizing BCBSM events and partner meetings.
Program Evaluation and Reporting
- Measure effectiveness of digital activities and platforms.
- Create monthly reports for Wellness Works and BCBSM partnership.
- Successfully interpret data and draw conclusions to improve strategy.
- Develop ongoing user engagement reports and track program success.
The Community and Digital Engagement Specialist position will focus primarily on the growth of the Chamber’s new Wellness Works platform under the direction of the Director of Health Care Initiatives. Wellness Works is an initiative created in partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan to promote wellness strategies to Southeast Michigan businesses. This program seeks collaboration from regional businesses, chambers of commerce, and community organizations with the goal of creating a healthier and happier Detroit Region.
Position is required to increase digital engagement and enhance the user experience. Position is responsible for all digital aspects of this initiative requiring digital and social strategy experience, creative thinking, strong writing skills, project management ability, and dedication to the program’s mission. Should have analytics knowledge and the ability to identifying new opportunities. A team player attitude is critical to the success of this role. This position will work in collaboration with the chamber’s marketing, design, and event teams. Required to maintain the day-to-day communications with program affiliates and platform users and follow the chamber’s corporate branding and communication standards. This position will support the program Director in the platform’s expansion strategy.
The salary for this position is up to $50,000 annually.
The Detroit Regional Chamber is an equal opportunity employer.
Michigan Wellness Council excited to announce the addition of two new individuals that have joined in recent months as its board of directors. The new board members are Alicia Wilson of Best and Brightest Programs and Diane Wolfenden of Priority Health. They will add their diverse range of experience to the leadership at Michigan Wellness Council to support its mission and vision. In total we have fifteen board of directors and we look forward to greater success as an organization with the new members.
Scholarship Spotlight: Anne Wawrzyniak
How the Fred Zimmer Memorial Scholarship has impacted past recipients
Anne Wawrzyniak received the Fred Zimmer Memorial Scholarship in 2017. She completed her undergraduate degree in Wellness, Health Promotion, & Injury Prevention from Oakland University in 2017, and is currently pursuing a Master of Science in Health Communication. Outside of her work and school-life, Anne loves traveling, hiking, and reading.